Have you been looking for soundproofing solutions for your home or commercial space? Then you may have heard about a sound dampening or acoustic blanket. But you may be wondering, how do sound blankets actually work?
What Are Soundproof Blankets?
A soundproof blanket is just what it sounds like! It’s a large piece of material that’s designed to deaden sound. You can lay soundproofing blankets down on floors or adhere them to walls and ceilings to block unwanted sound.
How Well Do Sound Dampening Blankets Work?
Soundproofing blankets made with the right material will absolutely work if used correctly. While an acoustic blanket will not prevent all sound from entering or leaving a room, it can dramatically dampen sound. No more being distracted by harsh noises outside! Plus, people on the other side of a sound blanket won’t be bothered by what’s going on inside. It’s a win-win.
Of course, a soundproofing blanket is only as good as its material. That’s why we recommend our Quiet Barrier™ Fiberglass Composite soundproofing blanket made with the highest quality materials.
Acoustic Panels vs. Blankets
When deciding if acoustic blankets are the right choice, many people will first compare them to acoustic panels. Acoustic panels accomplish some of the same goals as acoustic blankets, deadening and dampening sound within a space. However, these panels’ shapes, sizes and setup are quite different from acoustic blankets.
Acoustic blankets are often large and heavy. In some cases, you’ll have to hang them like you would a large-scale shower curtain. People use them to section-off areas of open spaces to create “rooms” and stop sound from traveling freely. You can use acoustic blankets in rugged settings like warehouses or workshops.
Acoustic panels, on the other hand, are smaller and lighter. You can easily hang them on walls to reduce the echo and reverb in a room, like a restaurant, office or recording studio. However, since you have to mount them on a surface, these panels are a little less versatile.
If you need to cover large areas or make partitions in open spaces to soundproof an area, then sound deadening blankets are the way to go.
Types of Sound Blocking Blankets
It’s important to understand the various types of sound blocking blankets so you can choose the right one for your needs. Here are some ways you can categorize sound deadening blankets to help you narrow your search:
- Moving blankets: You may have seen these blankets wrapped around furniture and other items to protect them during a move. They’re large and thick, possessing some sound deadening properties. However, they lack the real soundproofing characteristics of actual acoustic blankets.
- Sound absorption sheets: These sheets are thinner, lighter and smaller than other types of acoustic blankets, and they can get the job done for a lower cost. They usually come in a variety of colors to fit your room’s vibe. They generally consist of cellulose and recycled cotton.
- Sound blocking blankets: These blankets are large and stiff, making them an excellent choice for making sections within a space and blocking noise from getting through.
- Sound absorbing blankets: Thick and porous, these blankets allow sound waves to make their way into the fabric. The fabric then absorbs the noise, much like a sponge absorbs water. These are a great choice if you want to reduce echo and reverb in a noisy warehouse or loft area.
- Acoustic noise reduction blankets: You can hang these on walls to improve the acoustics within a space. Flat walls cause echo and reverb, and these blankets can soften the area to absorb more sound and make your room sound better, whatever your application.
When to Use an Acoustic or Soundproofing Blanket
So, when is the best time to use a soundproof blanket? They are ideal for areas with lots of hard surfaces and little furniture, like warehouses or construction sites. Sound waves easily bounce off hard surfaces, and without furniture to absorb the sound, the result is a lot of loud, harsh noise.
For example, gymnasiums can be pretty loud places due to people talking and the noise of equipment. This kind of environment can also be challenging to soundproof using conventional means. Soundproofing blankets make it simple to dampen harsh noises.
Trying to record a song, speech or podcast? You may be in a multi-purpose room where permanent soundproofing is not feasible or cost-effective. Instead, you can easily adhere soundproofing blankets to the walls using soundproofing adhesive. Whenever you need reliable sound dampening over doors, ceilings and floors at a moment’s notice, turn to heavy-duty acoustic blankets.
Remember — the more gaps you can cover with your soundproofing blankets, the less sound will be able to get through.
Have You Herd? Find Soundproofing Blankets at Soundproof Cow!
Find the perfect solution for your soundproofing needs right here at Soundproof Cow. Our Quiet Barrier™ Fiberglass Composite blanket consists of our legendary soundproofing material attached to a reinforced polyester film facing. Enjoy powerful sound dampening action whenever you need it!
At Soundproof Cow, we offer the highest quality products and the top-notch, no-sales-pitch customer service you deserve.
Ready for some peace and quiet? Order your soundproof blankets from Soundproof Cow today!