If you have a hot tub, you know that the motor can cause a racket. Fortunately, there’s hope. Implementing a few careful soundproofing solutions will help you minimize the noise your hot tub makes and reduce the effects of any remaining noise.
3 Ways to Reduce Hot Tub Noise
At Soundproof Cow, we know a thing or two about reducing noise in tricky situations. Here are three of our recommended approaches for making your hot tub quieter.
1. Build a Soundproof Box for the Hot Tub’s Pump
The motor inside your hot tub’s pump makes a lot of noise during its regular operation. It’ll cause even more noise if it rattles around. If your pump is separate from the tub, you can build soundproof housing to contain it. Follow these six steps:
- Cut medium-density fiberboard (MDF) into five even sides that you’ll construct into a three-sided box.
- Line each board with mass-loaded vinyl (MLV) and drill ventilation holes.
- Glue acoustic foam to each board.
- Apply soundproofing adhesive to each panel and fasten them together. Use additional nails if necessary.
- Seal each merge point with acoustical sound sealant.
- Place the box over the motor.
2. Create a Solid but Soft Base
Your hot tub needs to rest on a flat surface or else it may move around, like a desk on an uneven floor. Moreover, loose surfaces like deck boards will rattle around under the tub.
Be sure to install the hot tub on a sturdy surface like concrete or brick. Place another study material underneath the hot tub to absorb vibrations, like flooring underlayment or MLV.
3. Enclose the Hot Tub
Enclosing your hot tub is another way to prevent it from shaking around and causing floors to vibrate.
The best approach for en your hot tub is to dig a hole for it. That way the land will absorb the vibrations instead of your flooring.
You can line your enclosure with an absorptive material like acoustic foam to further reduce unwanted noise and vibrations.
Learn More With Soundproof Cow
Boxing in your pump, installing the hot tub on a sturdy, absorptive base and enclosing the tub itself can reduce the noisiness that cuts into your relaxation time.
At Soundproof Cow, we have the materials you need to make your hot tub soundproofing project a success. Browse our products online or get in touch today for a free acoustic analysis at your home.