Can you remember lunchtime in the school cafeteria? Even between food fights, it was probably pretty noisy. A cafeteria is naturally a noisy place, whether it’s in a school, hospital, workplace or any facility where crowds of people gather. Most cafeterias are designed for cleanliness, meaning they feature a lot of hard surfaces such as tile floors and bare walls. They also often have high ceilings. These hard surfaces reflect sound and increase noise levels. An easy way to reduce noise in a cafeteria is to add materials that absorb sound.
If you need to control noise in a school cafeteria or any gathering space in need of peace and quiet, we’re here to help. We’ll show you how to control noise levels in the cafeteria, the benefits of cafeteria soundproofing and the products we recommend at Soundproof Cow.
If you’re able to ask this question, you probably haven’t spent a lot of time in your cafeteria lately. School cafeterias, in particular, can be incredibly noisy. The problem is not just the sheer number of kids moving through the cafeteria, but the way cafeterias are constructed. For cleaning purposes, they’re often rife with reflective surfaces and may be very long and wide open spaces. This room construction is the perfect recipe for an echo chamber.
This cafeteria environment allows echoes to thrive, which means all manner of sounds bouncing against each other. This situation makes cafeteria noise control extremely challenging, and a cafeteria soundproofing solution needs to provide not only cafeteria noise reduction but also sound absorption to control those echoes.
Without proper sound absorption, even if you prevent sound from escaping the cafeteria to other parts of the facility, you will still be at the mercy of a cacophony of noise that can make it impossible for people in the cafeteria to communicate or hear themselves think. For this reason, some managers or faculties may feel that soundproofing a cafeteria is a pointless exercise — that it just can’t be done. But they haven’t heard of Soundproof Cow.
Fortunately, Soundproof Cow understands all the different kinds of noise that you can struggle with, and we have solutions for every situation. We have ways to both block sound and dampen sound. We have methods of controlling both standard airborne sound and vibratory noise. Give us a chance, and we’ll have your cafeteria noise as under control as it can possibly be.
Trust Soundproof Cow to provide solutions that:
• Absorb and control the echoes that create a cacophony and disturb diners in your cafeteria
• Dampen harsher sounds to make it easier for cafeteria diners to communicate with one another or for teachers to give instructions to students
• Keep the sounds of your cafeteria from bleeding through and interfering with other areas of your school or office so that you can keep your cafeteria up and running as needed without distracting other students or employees who are working
The unique dimensions and properties of a cafeteria environment require some special soundproofing solutions. Fortunately, Soundproof Cow has you covered. While you could completely soundproof the cafeteria with our Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composite or the ISOTRAX™ Soundproofing System, it may not be feasible. What you really need is to find a way to deal with that echo.
Soundproofing solutions like our Hanging Baffles, Udderly Quiet™ Anechoic Studio Foam and Echo Absorber™ Acoustic Panels allow you to effectively control the sound in your cafeteria without disrupting its general environment. We even offer acoustic panels wrapped in attractive art pieces to enhance your cafeteria décor while you dampen unwanted sound.
Best of all, our soundproofing solutions are affordable and easy to install. You don’t need to bring in any experts or close down the cafeteria for the day to start using our soundproofing solutions. Some of our materials you can simply stick into place or hang from fixtures. Even our products that require a little more effort you can still install without any special tools.
Order our soundproofing products for your cafeteria, and hear the difference for yourself! We can even give you a free acoustic analysis to help you decide.
Cafeteria Soundproofing Products
isoTRAX™ Soundproofing System
The isoTRAX™ Soundproofing System works by combining several different soundproofing strategies into one easy to use package. Designed to be installed inside of a wall or
IsoTrax™ Sound Isolation System Just as there is likely more than one source of sound that irritates you, there is more than one way of solving the problem. That’s why at Soundproof Cow, we use a system of different sound isolation solutions to block noise and quiet things down. This approach is why we created the IsoTrax™ Sound Isolation System. Soundproof Cow’s soundproofing isolation systems offer solutions to minimize excessive . . .LEARN MORE
Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composite
Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composites (1/4 in. 2 lb. barrier + 1 in. foam) are industrial grade products that stop sound from entering or leaving a
Quiet Barrier™ HD soundproofing composite is our thicker composite, consisting of ¼ inch of industrial grade soundproofing barrier combined with 1 inch of acoustic grade, polyurethane foam. This combination works to insulate your space from sound in two ways. First, the barrier itself, the mass and material designed to prevent most sound from getting through, and, second, the acoustic foam, which adds mass and sound blocking but also isolates the . . .LEARN MORE
Cafeteria Sound Absorption Products
Standard Fabric Wrapped Acoustic Panels
These Standard Acoustic Panels are an excellent general purpose acoustic product. We’ve taken our most popular acoustic panel, the Udderly Quiet™ 200 series, and created a
Standard Fabric-Wrapped Acoustic Panels Our fabric-covered acoustic panels, the Udderly Quiet™ 200 series, are among our most popular soundproofing products, and now we’ve made it easier than ever to order as many of them as you need. You can get started right now. Just use the convenient menus provided to choose from our FR701 fabric or Anchorage, pick from one of 20 popular colors, select the panel size you need . . .LEARN MORE
ADAPT Acoustical Treatments
Artistically unique and acoustically practical, ADAPT™ Acoustical Treatments answer the call for projects that demand fashion and function. ADAPT™ art acoustic panels give you the ability
Artistically unique and acoustically practical, ADAPT™ Acoustical Treatments answer the call for projects that demand fashion and function. ADAPT™ art acoustic panels give you the ability to easily interchange artwork within a single frame. Any image can be recreated on a fabric ‘skin’ for endless design potential in every residential and commercial setting. ADAPT™ art acoustic panels allow for a quick and cost-effective focal-point change on one framing system.LEARN MORE
Echo Absorber Acoustic Panel 2″ (Case of 3)
Echo Absorber is a light weight, thermally bonded acoustical panel made from recycled cotton fibers, which offers excellent noise reduction qualities in low, middle and high
ECHO ABSORBER 2” ACOUSTIC PANELS Our 2” thick Echo Absorber paneling can be used to soundproof a wide range of spaces, from home and professional recording studios to manufacturing facilities and other industries sites. In any application, Echo Absorber panels can be counted on for exceptional low- and high-frequency noise reduction at an affordable price point. Now Available in Convenient Three-Packs 2” Echo Absorber panels are among our best-selling high- . . .LEARN MORE
Udderly Quiet™ Fabric Covered Foam 3″
Udderly Quiet™ Fabric Covered Foam is an acoustical, flame resistant foam covered with flame resistant, non-woven fabric. It is a noise absorbing acoustic panel that is
Udderly Quiet™ Fabric Covered Foam is an acoustical, flame resistant foam covered with flame resistant, non-woven fabric. It is a noise absorbing acoustic panel that is used to improve the acoustics within a room by minimizing reverberation (echo) within the low, middle and high frequencies. Udderly Quiet™ Fabric Covered Foam is a Class “A” fire rated product and will meet or exceed most building code flammability requirements. The melamine foam core . . .LEARN MORE
Echo Absorber Hanging Baffle (Natural Blend – 1″x4’x4′)
Echo Absorber Hanging Baffles are a cost effective, ceiling hung solution for areas that suffer from extreme levels of noise caused by echo. They offer excellent
For a cost-effective soundproofing material that really works, try some of our natural blend Echo Absorber hanging baffles. These 1-inch-thick baffles come in four by four squares that hang barely noticeable from the ceiling as they absorb unwanted reverberation and echo. These hanging baffles are versatile enough for some very challenging sound environments, such as cafeterias, churches, gymnasiums and restaurants. The lightweight echo-absorbing material can capture and reduce low, middle . . .LEARN MORE
Benefits of Soundproofing a Cafeteria
When someone enters a cafeteria, they probably look forward to relaxing as they enjoy their meal. The cafeteria is the place people go to take a break from the daily grind, and it should not add to stress levels. School cafeterias especially should be a place where kids can unwind, socialize and take a breather. Likewise, teachers shouldn’t have to scream over cafeteria noise to make an announcement.
School cafeteria noise control creates a more comfortable environment for everyone inside and outside the room. By reducing the noise in your cafeteria, you’ll enjoy the following benefits — some of which may surprise you.
- Reduce food waste: Did you know noise increases food waste? According to this study published in the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, which observed the effects of school cafeteria noise on food consumption, noise may contribute to varying levels of food waste. If you wish to save costs on food, consider how soundproofing can help.
- Prevent hearing loss: Cafeteria noise is no joke. A team of students and members of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders tested the sound levels in their school cafeteria for two months. They found the noise could reach an average of 101 A-weighted decibels (dBA), or the sound of a lawnmower. Prolonged or repeated exposure to noise levels at or above 85 dBA can lead to hearing damage. For this reason, it’s a good idea to use soundproofing materials to protect the hearing of your students and staff.
- Reduce stress: Cafeteria-goers deserve a break from stress when they sit down with their lunch. Noise defeats the purpose of a lunch break because it increases stress levels. Help the students or employees in your facility relax when they enter the cafeteria, and you’ll enjoy a more positive environment all around.
- Improve speech intelligibility: Noise makes it hard to understand what someone else is saying. There are several negative effects of this. First, diners can’t enjoy conversing with each other. Secondly, in a school setting, teachers have to scream over students to make an announcement — one that could be crucial. Soundproofing allows others to understand what’s going on at all times and keeps teachers from wearing out their vocal cords.
- Healthier eating: A recent study published in the peer-reviewed journal Appetite found exposure to cafeteria noise reduces the consumption of fruits and vegetables for young children. Researchers believe noise decreases the enjoyment of a meal, therefore leading to less eating of healthy foods — another reason to soundproof.
- Feel healthier: Noise is not fun to listen to and can make anyone experience headaches, nausea, fatigue, anxiety, stress and a range of other symptoms. Also, studies show noise levels that rise above 80 decibels (dB) can increase aggressive behavior. Long-term daily exposure to noise levels just above 65 dB can lead to unhealthy effects. Therefore, soundproofing the cafeteria can make everyone feel healthier and happier, and it can help prevent conflict.
- Reduce the effects of noise in other rooms: Other rooms that require silence likely surround the cafeteria, such as classrooms or offices. By soundproofing the cafeteria, you help keep noise from entering these other spaces, which, in turn, helps others in the building stay on task.
- Increase safety: Noise is distracting. When students or workers are distracted, they may not watch where they’re going or pay attention to what they’re doing. They may also not be able to hear it when someone warns them of a spill on the floor. A quieter cafeteria means everyone can be more aware of their surroundings.
How to Soundproof a Cafeteria
There are two sources of noise in a cafeteria: reverberation and background noise. Reverberations occur when a sound wave hits a hard surface, like a cafeteria wall or floor, and reflects back into the room. Reverberations will continue to reflect into the space until the sound waves have dissipated or gotten absorbed. Background noise is any sound that interferes with something a listener is trying to hear.
Speech intelligibility decreases when background noise or long reverberation times are present. Reverberation time refers to the time it takes for sound to fade away. When both are active, it makes an even more significant impact on hearing. To effectively soundproof a cafeteria, it’s essential to focus on controlling noise levels and reverberation times.
You’ll need sound-absorbing materials to counter the effects of hard, smooth surfaces placed throughout the cafeteria. Surfaces that reflect sound do not offer any way to absorb sound waves. Sound-absorbing surfaces, on the other hand, feature fibers or foam that soak up sound waves and reduce reflection and reverberation.
Sound-absorbing materials, such as acoustic panels, work best when they are throughout the room instead of all in one area. In a cafeteria, you’ll want to address the ceiling and the walls.
The Ceilings and Interior Systems Construction Association recommends placing most sound-absorbing materials on the ceiling if they are less than 10 feet high. If the ceilings in your cafeteria are more than 10 feet high, you’ll need to place soundproofing materials on the walls as well. Here are a couple of ways to soundproof the cafeteria ceiling.
- Install acoustic ceiling tiles: Consider covering a hard ceiling with sound-absorbing ceiling tiles. Suspended acoustical ceiling tiles usually perform better when there’s air space behind them. For example, the Udderly Quiet™ Acoustic Cloud is a lightweight sound-absorbing panel that’s designed to hang from the ceiling with air space behind it. You can also install soundproofing materials behind ceiling tiles, such as Quiet Batt™ Soundproofing Insulation.
- Hang sound baffles: An easy solution for soundproofing the ceiling is hanging sound baffles. Sound baffles offer an effective way to reduce reverberation times. Hanging sound baffles also provide greater surface area because they hang vertically. They make an excellent solution for large open spaces like cafeterias, and you’ll have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to the fabric color.
Here are some ways to soundproof the walls in your cafeteria and reduce reverberation and background noise.
- Install acoustic wall panels: Acoustic wall panels help decrease reverberation times. Acoustic panels wrapped in fabric keep sound from reflecting into the room, and you can choose colors, patterns or artwork for the fabric to also add aesthetic value to the room.
- Install acoustic foam: Versatile, easy-to-install acoustic foam is another sound-absorbing option. It may be the best option when you need effective noise reduction and flexibility.
The best way to soundproof a cafeteria is to consult a professional early in the process. A soundproofing pro will help you control noise and avoid mistakes. To get started, gather the measurements of your cafeteria, then fill out our Free Acoustic Analysis for an estimate.
Cafeteria Soundproofing Products Available at Soundproof Cow
Imagine being able to hear the person sitting across from you without having to stop chewing. A soundproof cafeteria makes it possible to enjoy a relaxed lunch with friends, classmates or employees. Although we cannot control how loud people wish to be, we can control how the room handles the noise.
At Soundproof Cow, we offer a range of cafeteria soundproofing solutions. We design our products for easy installation and effective sound absorption. You can install many of our materials quickly with straightforward tools and without needing to close the cafeteria for hours. We also care about durability and fire safety, so most of our soundproofing materials can stand up to the cafeteria environment. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, reach out to us. We’re happy to tailor solutions to meet your needs.
To help you start your project, here are our recommended soundproofing materials for cafeterias.
1. IsoTrax™ Sound Isolation System
If you want to block noise transmission with a superior soundproofing system, our IsoTrax™ Sound Isolation System is our shining star. IsoTrax™, only available from Soundproof Cow, is for installation inside the wall assembly. If you’re building or remodeling your cafeteria, IsoTrax™ is the perfect way to incorporate soundproofing directly into the building design.
With IsoTrax™, you’ll install sound isolation rails that keep the drywall from the studs in the wall assembly. You’ll also install sound-deadening pads to reduce sound transmission and help eliminate vibrational noise. As a whole, the system adds mass, which blocks sound, and the pads absorb low-frequency vibrational sounds. The finished product effectively controls noise transmission through exterior and interior walls. You can also apply IsoTrax™ to the ceiling. Once IsoTrax™ is in place, you can add hanging baffles from the ceiling and mount acoustic panels to the wall for maximum noise control.
2. Hanging Baffles
Hanging baffles play a critical role in soundproofing large, open spaces. Cafeterias usually have plenty of room for sound waves to bounce off the ceiling. Hanging baffles save the day by absorbing chaotic sound waves and reducing noise. They also add a pleasing design element and free up wall space. You can install the following hanging baffles in your cafeteria.
- Udderly Quiet™ Acoustic Baffle: Our Udderly Quiet™ Acoustic Baffle 250 Series includes a sound-absorbing fiberglass core, lightweight aluminum frame and acoustic fabric covering. The 250 series is available in sizes up to four feet by eight feet. Need something smaller? Consider our Udderly Quiet™ Acoustic Baffle 200 Series. All of our Udderly Quiet™ Acoustic Baffles have a Class A flammability rating and have received certification as low-emitting products from the Greenguard Environmental Institute to help you stay compliant. And we offer a variety of fabric options to meet your needs.
- Echo Absorber™ Hanging Baffle: Our natural blend Echo Absorber™ hanging baffle offers a cost-effective solution to cafeteria noise. These lightweight, barely noticeable baffles are Class A fire-rated, composed mostly of recycled materials, and are resistant to mold and mildew. If you’re on a tight budget and need excellent noise reduction, our Echo Absorber™ Hanging Baffles are a smart choice.
3. Acoustic Panels
Acoustic panels are a cafeteria must-have. Acoustic panels are versatile, easy to install and offer superior sound absorption. Our Udderly Quiet™ Acoustic Panel 200 Series is our standard, general-purpose acoustic panel and is one of our bestsellers. These panels feature a glass mineral wool core and an acoustic fabric covering available in a variety of colors. Other acoustic panel options include the following.
- Echo Absorber™ Acoustic Panels: Just like our hanging baffles, you can mount Echo Absorber™ Acoustic Panels to the walls for a durable, high-performing, mold-resistant solution. Choose from neutral colors like white, black or gray.
- Art Acoustic Panels: Our Art Acoustic Panels feature a sound-absorbing core and aluminum frame plus a custom fabric covering. You can choose any design you wish for a soundproofing panel that’s both unique and functional. You might even ask students to come up with the design so everyone can play a role in your project. Consider our ADAPT™ Acoustical Treatments for the option to display ever-changing art.
- Udderly Quiet™ Fabric-Covered Foam: Our Udderly Quiet™ Fabric-Covered Foam features a flame-resistant foam core and non-woven fabric covering. These acoustic panels are easy to clean, mildew-resistant and durable — perfect for a school cafeteria where spills and splashes are always a possibility.
4. Acoustic Foam
Acoustic foam is highly versatile and easy to install, and it’s effective at absorbing sound and reducing noise. Consider the following soundproofing products you can place just about anywhere.
- Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composite: Our Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composite is flexible and only takes moments to install. As our thickest composite, this includes a quarter-inch-thick layer of soundproofing barrier to block sound, and one inch of acoustic foam to absorb sound. You can easily apply the composite with an adhesive such as the PL® Premium Construction Adhesive, or you can choose our Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composite With Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive for even easier installation.
- Udderly Quiet™ Anechoic Acoustic Foam: We have specifically designed our Udderly Quiet™ Anechoic Acoustic Foam to reduce reverberation. The unique ridged design absorbs different frequencies and deflects sound to reduce echoes and reverberations. It’s made of lightweight, flexible polyurethane foam, so it’s easy to install, too. Our Udderly Quiet™ Anechoic Acoustic Foam may be the ideal option for cafeterias that double as auditoriums, as it improves the sound quality of a space.
5. Quiet Board™ Water-Resistant Panels
Our Quiet Board™ Water-Resistant Panels may be the solution you’re looking for where spills and messes are a concern. These panels are perfect for food preparation areas and will help protect cafeteria staff from damaging noise levels. Quiet Board™ can perform double duty as noise-reducing ceiling tiles. They work by absorbing and deflecting noise for overall improved sound quality. They’re washable, lightweight and you can cut them into any shape.
Contact Soundproof Cow Today
Soundproofing a cafeteria is a significant responsibility, but it’s worth the effort for the safety of your students and staff. Plus, you don’t need to tackle this task alone. At Soundproof Cow, we’re here to ensure you adequately reduce noise in your cafeteria and get the results you want.
We ‘re udderly thrilled to help our customers reduce noise and fully enjoy their space. From high-quality soundproofing materials to exceptional customer service, we have the tools to help you reach your soundproofing dreams. To get started on your soundproofing project, complete our Free Acoustic Analysis today!