Call Center Soundproofing: Why Is it Needed?
Many call centers come to Soundproof Cow because their employees are complaining. They can’t hear the customer, miscommunication occurs, and sales are lost.
Often, customers only know your business from what can be heard on the call. If customers hear the background noise of other conversations, they’ll feel like they’re not on a private call. They won’t have a good impression of your company.
If your employees can’t hear the customer clearly, there’s miscommunication and serious problems occur. These problems cost your company money. If you are not getting the results that you want from your call center, you may want to seriously consider call center noise reduction products from Soundproof Cow. Our sound absorption solutions can help improve your call center results in several ways:
First, as a service to your team members. When your employees can hear every call that is going on around them, they may lose focus on their own call. While a call center with an open plan doesn’t allow for complete silence around an operator’s call, we have solutions that can dampen echoes and pull sound so that the clearest sound your operator hears is the sound coming from their phone, with other people’s conversations in the faint background.
Second, as a service to your customers. If you do not have adequate solutions in place for controlling call center noise, customers may feel like they are not valued as individuals, which could make them want to end the call sooner, make them lose interest in your product or service or make them less likely to call again.
Good call center soundproofing can help you deal with both of these issues and more.
What can Call Center Soundproofing Do for You?
• Reduce echoes and background noise so phone conversations are clear, resulting in better communication between your employees and customers
• Decrease distractions for employees, which ultimately increases concentration and quality work
• Provide a better working environment so your company keeps good employees
How to Soundproof a Call Center
The challenge when it comes to call centers is that most call centers have relatively open floor plans. Operators are not in private offices where they can close a door — instead, at best, they have an area enclosed by three cubicle walls. How can you soundproof such an environment?
Fortunately, Soundproof Cow has a number of solutions for this situation, such as our Hanging Baffles. These squares of soundproofing material have echo absorbing and sound dampening properties and simply hang from the ceiling, where they quietly perform their function of drawing bouncing sounds from the atmosphere away from the ears of your operators.
You can also line the walls you do have with Soundproof Cow products like our Quiet Barrier™ HD Soundproofing Composite, Fabric Wrapped Acoustic Panels or Udderly Quiet™ Fabric-Covered Foam. These products can easily fit into your existing design and do a great job of absorbing sound, even in spaces that you are not able to completely enclose.
These products also look great and are made from natural materials, so they should not disrupt your call center setup or culture in any significant way, other than to spare your operators and your customers the trouble of excessive harsh, unwanted, distracting sound.
To get started, let Soundproof Cow’s experts help determine your personal call center’s specific needs and requirements when it comes to sound control. Contact us today for a totally free acoustic analysis of your set up to get you going on the right track.
Even with much of our communication happening online these days, nearly 58% of contact centers host phone interactions with customers. Talking by phone has some advantages over written communication, but when you put a lot of employees together who are all talking on the phone at once, this can create a noisy and chaotic environment.
This is where soundproofing comes in. With the right solutions, you can keep noise from becoming a problem for call center employees and for the customers they serve.
Call Center Soundproofing Products
Call Center Sound Absorption Products
Benefits of Soundproofing Your Call Center
Call center sound dampening comes with some important benefits. However, you can boil these benefits down into two main categories: clear phone communication and minimized distractions.
1. Clear Phone Communication
You don’t want call center employees struggling to hear the customer on the other end of the line, and you don’t want customers hearing more voices than just the customer service representative’s. A noisy environment can make it extremely difficult to talk on the phone and hear everything clearly. Even if employees are wearing headsets, voices from other employees can come through the microphone and muddy their words. In a call center, clear communication should be of the highest priority. With soundproofing, you can make clear communication possible.
2. Minimized Distractions
A quieter environment is also an easier environment in which to stay focused. Being surrounded by noise can make employees feel distracted and even stressed. In a call center, noise can easily become a big, distracting problem. With soundproofing, you can enjoy a quieter environment in your call center, so employees can remain focused on their work without losing their train of thought or being distracted by the conversations going on around them.
How to Soundproof a Noisy Call Center
To reduce noise problems in your call center, you can mask, distribute, block or absorb sound. By using white noise, strategic spacing, soundproofing materials, and sound-absorbing materials, you can reduce noise and improve employee communication with customers.
1. Sound Masking
If call center employees are struggling to hear over the sounds of each other’s voices, one solution is to install sound masking systems. Adding to all the noise may seem counterintuitive, but white noise can help mask the sounds of voices. Even if you have to increase the volume of the sound masking system, your employees will have a better chance of hearing because sound masking frequencies are less disruptive than the noise of nearby voices.
2. Distribute Sound
Some companies may have the option of spreading out their employees to reduce noise disruption. Even if you don’t have extra room, you can seat employees strategically, putting employees who don’t speak on the phone regularly between those who do. This can work if you have some employees who focus on online communication, for example. You can also move noisy machines like printers to other areas, so they aren’t disruptive to call center staff.
3. Block Sound
You can also install partitions to block call center sounds from traveling between employees or to block sounds from other areas from entering your call center room. Soundproofing materials come in varying sound transmission class (STC) ratings, including some that can completely block even loud speech from bleeding through from one room to the next. Installing call center walls that have a high STC rating can be one of the most effective choices for call center noise reduction.
4. Absorb Sound
Many types of materials found in a typical office building are smooth and nonporous, such as glass, wood or concrete. These materials generally cause sound to bounce off and travel around the facility. Some materials can absorb sound more effectively and keep sound from spreading. These materials tend to be soft and porous or fibrous. By installing acoustic panels or other absorbent materials, you can prevent sound from bouncing around and disturbing employees.
Best Products to Soundproof Your Call Center
Soundproof Cow offers a wide range of products to help call centers address the issue of noise. Here are some of the best products that can provide effective call center noise solutions:
- IsoTrax™ Sound Isolation System: This is one of the best systems you’ll find for soundproofing. You can build the soundproofing system into walls as part of a new construction or add it to existing walls. The kit includes sound isolation rails and sound-deadening spacer pads.
- Quiet Barrier™ HD soundproofing composite: This soundproofing composite is made from a heavy-duty soundproofing barrier along with an inch-thick layer of polyurethane foam. This product is thin enough that it can fit nearly anywhere, and it is effective at keeping noise from going through walls.
- Hanging baffles: Hanging baffles are a type of acoustic panel that you can hang from a wall or ceiling. These panels come in a wide range of sizes, and all of them can help absorb noise in your call center. Hanging these periodically throughout your facility can keep noise from traveling.
- Art acoustic panels: You can also install acoustic panels that look like works of art in your call center. You can customize the graphic on your acoustic panels, so your panels can blend right in with the rest of your decor or serve as a pop of artistic appeal. All you’ll see is artwork, but inside, foam or wool will absorb sound.
- Udderly Quiet™ 200 series: These acoustic panels are covered in fabric, which comes in 20 different color choices. You can also choose from several size options. These panels don’t feature custom graphics, but they still have visual appeal and give you the opportunity to choose a color that will look nice in your call center.
- Echo Absorber™ panels: These panels are one inch thick, the thinnest and most affordable option we carry at Soundproof Cow. Because they’re so thin, they’re a non-obtrusive way to reduce sound in your facility. They can absorb 65% of sounds in your facility. You can buy these panels in sheets and cut them to fit your space.
- Udderly Quiet™ 3? Fabric Covered Foam panels: These thick panels are covered in fabric and contain foam that will absorb sound effectively. These panels have a Class A™ flammability rating. Even though they’re thick, they are flexible, which allows them to hug curved walls or columns.
Soundproofing Solutions From Soundproof Cow
At Soundproof Cow, we understand that every facility presents its own noise challenges. Fortunately, we’re all about solutions, and we can soundproof any space in a variety of ways. Explore our range of soundproofing products to learn more about the ways you can make your call center quiet and focused instead of noisy and chaotic.
Soundproof Other Spaces
The times I talked with you on the telephone and corresponded through email you have been very helpful and efficient. I would highly recommend Soundproofcow.com to anyone!- S. Cimino